Header Ads

Tuesday at Cheongster Cafe: Miss Singapore Core 2016

core

By Felix Cheong

CONTESTANT number 69, tell us something about yourself!

My name is Mixxy Mah. I am a multiracial Singaporean and a global citizen.

Multiracial? You look very Chinese to me, Mixxy!

My father is Hakka and my mother is Cantonese. So I am a Hakkanese.

How interesting, Mixxy! I have never met a Hakkanese!

My boyfriend is currently a Hokkien. He has not made up his mind yet if he will remain one. He says he will decide when he turns 21. But we already plan to have five children and if he remains Hokkien, they will all be Hokkanese.

That is what we need in Singapore, more Hokkanese children! You also say you are a global citizen, Mixxy. You travel a lot?

I was born in Manila Street and grew up in Penang Lane. I studied at Canberra Primary and Secondary School and now I work at Hong Kong Street.

That explains why you sound like a Filipino raised in Malaysia but studied in Australia and now speak English with a Hong Kong twang! So you speak many languages, Mixxy?

I only learned two languages in school, Chinese and Singlish.

That is more than enough for national television! I understand for the talent showcase, you will treat us to a special demonstration?

I will recite the pledge alternately in Singlish and English, with a simultaneous translation in sign language.

Thank you, Mixxy! That will be a first on national television, folks! Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause please, contestant number 69 for Miss Singapore Core 2016!

 

Featured Image by Guet Ghee Pang.

If you like this article, Like The Middle Ground‘s Facebook Page as well!

For breaking news, you can talk to us via email.

The post Tuesday at Cheongster Cafe: Miss Singapore Core 2016 appeared first on The Middle Ground.

- Felix Cheong

No comments

Powered by Blogger.